The Lighter Side of JzB

Here you will find photos, poetry, and possibly some light-hearted foolishness. For the Heavier Side
of JzB
see my other blog,
Retirement Blues. (There be dragons!)

I claim copyright and reserve all rights for my original material of every type and genre.


Every day visits*
From Moose, Goose, and Orb Weaver
All seized by Haiku


"Why moose and goose?" you may ask. Back on 2/04/13 Pirate wrote a haiku with an elk in it, and I responded with
one with a moose and then included him every day. A few days later in comments Mystic asked "Where's the goose?"
So I started including her with this post on 2/07. A week later on the 14th, Mark Readfern
asked for and received a spider. The rest is history.

*Well, most days, anyway. Grant me a bit of poetic license.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

VisDare 7 - Secret


This is not a follow-up to last week's effort.  Just a simple little stand-alone in 149 words.




Surprise - the lock made no sound when I turned the bulky key.

Nor was there a screech from the hinges as the ancient door swung effortlessly open.

The moonlight streaming through the open doorway was all I needed to survey the vast riches in this crypt.

A jeweled brooch.

A golden cup.

A Mithril dagger worth more than even I could imagine.

They all went silently into my pouch.

The residents here had no more need of them.

Soon I would be like a King – one of these ancient Kings, whose crypts are supposedly protected by powerful curses.

What’s this?  Aha - a purse of gold coins.

There was no sound but the slight whisper of the wind, like an old lover’s sigh.

Then it caught the door, and slammed it shut with a crash that would wake the dead.

Oh great gods  .  .  .  the DEAD.

~  :  ~  :  ~   

As a haiku

 Stealing from the dead
Risky business any time
Then an ill wind blows

9 comments:

  1. Very nice. The Dead, indeed. I'm glad I don't have to witness his fate.

    No haiku?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add a haiku.

    Too many things at once, alas.

    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, a very appropriate haiku. Thanks for writing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the last line. And the haiku! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful.

    These pictures are indeed good for darker stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about a cliffhanger! Great suspenseful piece. Love that the tension builds throughout, even though the danger doesn't become apparent till the very end. Another VisDare triumph! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the build up and it's great that you left us hanging as to his fate :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all.

    There's very little doubt as to his fate.

    JzB

    ReplyDelete

This is a fun blog. Light-hearted banter is welcome. Snark is not. If you want to fight, find my other blog.

Play nice, and we'll all have fun.

I like to return visit, when I can - but I need to find you. If you have multiple blogs, please leave a direct link to the appropriate post.

Cheers!
JzB