The Lighter Side of JzB

Here you will find photos, poetry, and possibly some light-hearted foolishness. For the Heavier Side
of JzB
see my other blog,
Retirement Blues. (There be dragons!)

I claim copyright and reserve all rights for my original material of every type and genre.


Every day visits*
From Moose, Goose, and Orb Weaver
All seized by Haiku


"Why moose and goose?" you may ask. Back on 2/04/13 Pirate wrote a haiku with an elk in it, and I responded with
one with a moose and then included him every day. A few days later in comments Mystic asked "Where's the goose?"
So I started including her with this post on 2/07. A week later on the 14th, Mark Readfern
asked for and received a spider. The rest is history.

*Well, most days, anyway. Grant me a bit of poetic license.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Carpe Diem's Little Ones #3,

This time Kristjaan introduces us to SIJO an ancient Korean short poetry form.  He explains:

The lines average 14-16 syllables, for a total of 44-46. There is a pause in the middle of each line, so in English they are sometimes printed in six lines instead of three. Most poets follow these guidelines very closely although there are longer examples. Either narrative or thematic, this lyric verse introduces a situation or problem in line 1, development (called a turn) in line 2, and a strong conclusion beginning with a surprise (a twist) in line 3, which resolves tensions or questions raised by the other lines and provides a memorable ending.

A different structure, but very much the same esthetic drive as the sonnet.  Kristjaan tells us: "Sijo is, first and foremost, a song."  And Sonnet, of course, means "little song."  Is it a stretch to find a match at the souls of these two forms?

Once, in a stroke of smart assery, I reduced Shakespears' Sonnet 12 to a haiku - or at least a haiku-shaped word cluster.  The sonnet can be found here.    My quasi-haiku here, but I'll reprint it below, as well. 


All ages,  withers,
Dies.  You too. Now - you look fine!
Let's make a baby.

 
I think [hope] I'm a better haijin than that now.

Here are two Sigo, the first is another restatement of Sonnet 12, the second comes from the deep recesses of my own fevered brain.

~~~::~~~

soon enough the clock strikes twelve
and all the brightness fades to gloom

you my young sweet beauty too
shall fade into tarnished silver

so now before time steals us
let us join and make a new life

~~~::~~~

a blushing pink flower opens
with fruit so ripe as to burst

here comes the sly wonton boy
his hunger never satisfied

now the cherry gets consumed
is the flower's beauty spoiled


~~~::~~~ 

And now a cinquian, inspired by Bjorn and  Chèvrefeuille.

cherry
but not for long
fallen between white sheets
but now they are stained red
just like cherries

~~~::~~~


1 comment:

  1. I like your Sijo JzB ... I didn't know that short form, but I do like it very much. Your Cinquain is wonderfully crafted. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

This is a fun blog. Light-hearted banter is welcome. Snark is not. If you want to fight, find my other blog.

Play nice, and we'll all have fun.

I like to return visit, when I can - but I need to find you. If you have multiple blogs, please leave a direct link to the appropriate post.

Cheers!
JzB